Minneapolis workers appear to be partially clearing George Floyd Square

More On:

George Floyd

Derek Chauvin makes first court appearance on federal civil rights charges

Dems who ignore rising crime will pay a severe ballot-box price

Portland becomes a war zone on anniversary of George Floyd’s murder

US embassies fly BLM flags to mark anniversary of George Floyd death

Minneapolis city workers were partially clearing the memorial erected where George Floyd was murdered — an area that’s since become a lawless spot of recurring trouble, with attacks by vandals and even a shooting last week, according to reports and videos early Thursday.

Dozens of clean-up crew members were at the now-notorious area known as George Floyd Square with videos showing them removing large items around the memorial, KSTP said.

Bobcat equipment and attachments were also brought in as workers appeared to be removing the concrete barriers that had long sealed off the area from traffic, the station said.

“City not confirming, but it appears George Floyd Square is being dismantled,” KSTP anchor Megan Newquist tweeted.

The station’s reporter at the scene, Ashley Zilka, said that “community members continue to show up” as word of the possible dismantling spread.

“Many are angry; say they are shocked by this,” she tweeted, saying .

Videos on social media also showed the crews in action early Thursday.

“They’re trying to tear down the memorial for George Floyd to that’s been standing in Minneapolis for a year. No Justice No Streets,” cartoonist Cathy Johnson tweeted along with one clip.

The city did not respond to KTSP’s requests for comment, the station said, while revealing that community leaders were expected to address it later this morning.

Last week’s shooting at the site came on the first anniversary of Floyd’s murder.

Black-owned businesses in the area also claim the square became an autonomous zone that left them in danger and their businesses in peril.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article