Antonio Conte confirmed as new Tottenham boss on £15m-a-year deal for 18 months to replace sacked Nuno Espirito Santo

TOTTENHAM have appointed Antonio Conte as their new manager on a £15million-a-year contract.

The former Chelsea boss has been brought in to replace the axed Nuno Espirito Santo.

The 52-year-old flew into London for talks on Monday, where he thrashed out a deal with Spurs chief Daniel Levy.

SunSport understands he will be backed in the January transfer market, and given a £150million war chest to bring in his own players.

Upon joining Spurs, Conte said: "I am extremely happy to return to coaching, and to do so at a Premier League club that has the ambition to be a protagonist again.

“Tottenham Hotspur has state-of-the-art facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world.

“I can't wait to start working to convey to the team and the fans the passion, mentality and determination that have always distinguished me, as a player and as a coach."

Conte held talks with the club last summer before they collapsed and Santo was appointed instead.

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

The Italian took the opportunity to address what happened.

He said: “Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching.

“But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark. Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction.”

Spurs managing director Fabio Paratici added: "We are delighted to welcome Antonio to the club. His track record speaks for itself, with vast experience and trophies in both Italy and England.

“I know first-hand the qualities Antonio can bring to us, having worked with him at Juventus, and look forward to seeing his work with our talented group of players.”

Conte is expected to bring in a whole new backroom team, like he did with Chelsea and Inter, with confirmation expected in due course.

The former Italy boss – who won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2016-17 – once claimed the North Londoners were not ambitious enough.

But Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, backed by billionaire owner Joe Lewis, has performed a stunning U-turn.

They are offering Conte a huge contract equivalent to £290,000 a week — plus heavy backing in the transfer market.

Nuno was axed after Sunday’s 3-0 home loss to Manchester United which saw him and his players booed off.

Conte's first task will be turning around Spurs' striker Harry Kane's ailing form.

During Euro 2020, the Italian said: "People praise Harry Kane for his ability to go get the ball and play with the team, such as with the equaliser against Denmark.

"Of course, he’s good at that too, but it’s in the box where he’s clinical and as a coach, I would always keep him in there because he’s devastating."

Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals

    Source: Read Full Article